Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child’s ability to calculate fluently, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, children learn to appreciate the contribution made by many cultures to the development and application of mathematics.
At Northway we use the Liverpool maths plan and Total maths resources that are linked to the national curriculum, it is our aim to develop:
- A positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics
- Competence and confidence in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
- Ability to communicate mathematics
- Ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately and therefore have an understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment
- An ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life